Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What I Ate Wednesday: #9 [and Green Egg Salad]

Pin It

Technically What I Ate Monday
Breakfast: high-protein pancakes made with cottage cheese, two egg whites and chocolate protein powder, topped with blackberries and sugar-free syrup; half caff and unsweetened almond milk on the side morning snack: greek yogurt, 1/4 cup blackberries, hazelnuts lunch: avocado-egg salad, lettuce, low-fat string cheese, chocolate protein powder + water, coconut la croix snack: 1/2 tablespoon natural peanut butter; cottage cheese; apple (not pictured: rye-pumpernickel swirl bread toasted + topped with 1/2 tablespoon natural peanut butter) dinner: leftover corned beef; carrots; cabbage


And since we're here to talk about going green - because it's March is the month for St. Patrick, because eating veggies never gets old, because Jenn said so and because I've recently discovered I can eat avocado without my mouth itching - I wanted to share with you my "recipe" for avocado-egg salad.

For years, avocado made my mouth and tongue itch whenever I ate it. I avoided guacamole and worried whenever I ate Mexican food that there'd be an avocado hiding somewhere and make me break out in hives. Something made me give it a try in the last couple of months, though, and I'm quite happy to report avocado is no longer a problem. 

Now the only problem I have with it is that I'd like to eat a whole lot of it and, although it's filled with good fats, I probably shouldn't eat a whole ton of it in one sitting. This avocado-egg salad I've been packing in my lunch is the perfect solution: just a small amount of avocado adds a nice healthy creaminess to my egg salad, no mayo required.



Avocado-Egg Salad for One


1 hard-boiled egg
3 hard-boiled egg whites
2 tablespoons mashed avocado
salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, to taste (or add your favorite spices!)


Chop the egg and egg whites into bite-size pieces. Stir together with the avocado and spices. Refrigerate until lunchtime and serve with a cup of lettuce.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Love the idea of avocado egg salad! I only tried avocados recently -- within the last year -- & I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; the avocado egg salad sounds delicious. I don't think I could live on your diet though. Hats off to you for some amazing willpower and self control. I didn't see a bag of chips or bar of chocolate anywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday I was an angel. Tuesday I finished the jar of p.b. Oops!

      Delete
  3. Yum! I love the idea of adding avocado to eggs... I was just thinking how rarely I make egg salad, but it's so good. Can't wait to try this when my vegan challenge is up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...