Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tahini-Free Healthy Hummus

Pin It

tahini-free hummus recipe

Mr. Chance Pants had to go get shots this morning. So at 8 am, we put Miss Stella Bean in her cage so she wouldn't eat recyclables, magazines, shoes, insert whatever she felt like eating here, and headed off to the vet.

I felt awful listening to her cry as we shut the garage door, but I knew it was for the best. This trip would be easiest just the three of us. 

It's a process when Chance has to go to the vet. We muzzle him because he likes to act tough. Then the husband puts Chance on the exam table, backs him up all the way to the wall and holds him around his rib cage so he can't go anywhere. 

Once they're in position it's my turn to step in. My job is to hold the dog man's head, rub my thumb between his eyes to calm him, look him in the eye to keep him focused on me and tell him "NO" whenever he thinks about making a break for it - and hopping off the three-foot exam table.

It's not easy. In fact, it's hard work. 

Getting your husband to eat things that are good for him and contain fiber can be hard work, too. But I guess not everything can be as easy as making hummus and putting out a box of crackers next to the hummus so your husband will eat it.

hummus recipe



Tahini-Free Healthy Hummus

Inspired by Healthy Made Easy

1 can organic chickpeas
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8-1/4 teaspoon chili powder
a dash of chipotle powder (just a dash, really!)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Rinse and drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid. Chop the first seven ingredients in a mini chopper for a few seconds. Slowly drizzle in the lemon juice and olive oil, and run the mini chopper some more. Add the reserved chickpea liquid one tablespoon at a time until the mixture is nice and smooth.

Enjoy with crackers, fruit or vegetables - or with whatever you'd like!


4 comments:

  1. Aw, my husband's family has a YELLOW lab, also named Chance! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's named for the Chance from "Homeward Bound" because he was so young and hyper when we adopted him!

      Delete
  2. I will have to try this hummus recipe. I'm obsessed with that stuff. Is there any particular reason you went with a tahini-free recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find tahini! So I made hummus without it, and guess what I spotted at the grocery store as soon as I posted this? Tahini!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...