Monday, January 9, 2012

Low-Carb Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
Old spices and all, the husband really liked dinner. I just wish I liked the photo better!
We keep a clean, well-organized house around here. At least, I liked to think that. 

I sweep, vacuum and mop; the husband always makes sure the dishes are put away. We change our sheets regularly, clean the bathroom, you know the drill.

And then company will come and I'll realize the baseboard in the hallway has a big brown dirt spot on it. Yes, a huge dirty mark running about a three-foot span. 

Thanks, Chance. Did you have to sleep in the same spot all summer? Really? And did you have to sleep with your body right up against the white woodwork? 

Or I'll make the husband a pretty nice (low-carb!) cheese-stuffed chicken dish for dinner only to have him go through the spice rack just as I'm taking dinner out of the oven.

"I never knew spices could go bad," he said. "That's funny. Oh, man! Your lemon-pepper seasoning is reeeeally old!"

What was that, Husband? It expired in 2010? That's unfortunate.

I'd just used it in our dinner. Ooops.

So my advice to you: Don't overlook your baseboards when company is coming, and clean out the spice rack every once in a freaking while. A little dirt don't hurt, from time to time, and old spices won't ruin dinner, but it's probably best you don't continue to eat them when you know they expired more than a year ago.

Low-Carb Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Adapted From Better Homes & Gardens
Serves 3 (or one husband and his low-carbing wife!)

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano , crushed
1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning

salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

Mix the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, basil, oregano and lemon-pepper seasoning in a small bowl. Place the chicken breasts on a nonstick baking sheet or in a glass baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray.

Lightly salt and pepper the chicken breasts, and spoon a little of the cheese mixture on each of the chicken breasts. Fold the chicken in half, using a toothpick to keep the breasts closed, if necessary.

Bake for about 15 minutes and flip. Cook another 15 minutes or until cooked completely. If you'd like, turn the burner on for the last 3-5 minutes of baking to help the chickens brown up a little.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I have to smile because last year when we were cleaning out my mother's house she had jars of herbs and spices that had brown price tags of 35 cents! Can you imagine how old those herbs were? :) I do have to admit that some of my spices are older than a year, but they still smell good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad that someone else has the spot from the dog issue! Much as I miss our Bailey, I don't miss having to clean those up, especially since we have red clay down here and it stains white woodwork.

    The chicken looks fantastic. Fantastic enough that I had to laugh about this because it's so, so true. "(or one husband and his low-carbing wife!)" I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spices are so dang expensive! I'd say if you only paid 35 cents for 'em, keep 'em as long as you can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You fully had me with this meal. Then I saw that green stuff creeping up on the chicken. Dah!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...