Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Healthy Southwestern Burgers

southwestern burger recipe
The husband's Southwestern burger, served on a whole wheat bun with rice on the side.
Whenever we have company we end up eating out more than usual. Sure, I enjoy cooking for our visitors, but when we're out and about it's a given we're going to end up at a restaurant - at least when it comes to lunch.

We ate our last lunch with Da and my stepmother last weekend in a downtown pub. None of us had ever been there before, so it took us awhile to order, but eventually we all chose typical pub grub - sandwiches, wraps - and Da ordered a burger.


The thought of ordering a burger crossed my mind, but I hate ordering the same thing as someone else when we go out to eat ('cause I'm weird). So I went with a Buffalo chicken wrap that had the husband asking me in front of the bartender if I needed some sour cream to go with my meal, embarrassing me all to heck and making me want to kick the husband under the table, but that's another story.






So, yeah, I went with the wrap, and it was good. But I haven't been able to stop thinking about how good Da's burger looked since. And then the husband told me he's been kicking himself ever since, wishing he had ordered a burger, too.


When I found this recipe as I flipped through my recent issue of Health magazine it was the only sign I needed. I had to make these for dinner.




We had all of the ingredients on hand, and the husband didn't cringe when I told him I wanted to try out a new recipe for dinner: win-win situation. Actually, I think this was more like a home run rather than just a winning situation. 




Dinner was so good we both ate two burgers. At least now we can stop dreaming of ground beef.


Southwestern Burgers
Slightly Adapted From Health Magazine, January/February 2011

1 pound extra-lean ground beef (97/3)

1 egg
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
salt, to taste

Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Form four patties and grill until medium-rare or cooked to your liking.


Enjoy with your favorite toppings on whole wheat buns or a bed of lettuce.



Serves 4
As per my calculations, each burger is 200 calories, 9.25 g fat, 2.5 g carb, .25 g fiber, 25 g protein

2 comments:

  1. These burgers look fantastic! I think that while I sometimes get great inspiration from meals out, I much prefer to relax and cook and eat at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, definitely will have to make these. They sound delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...