Sunday, September 25, 2011

High-Protein, Low-Carb "Pancakes"

low-carb pancakes recipe
High-Protein, Low-Carb "Pancakes"
Wife: People who see me eat lunch probably think I'm so weird.
Husband, pointing to himself: You mean like this guy?

That was us yesterday discussing my recent brown-bag specials, which have consisted of turkey and cheese roll-ups and chicken salad made with Greek yogurt. I don't eat a lot of carbs - doctor's orders.

So even though the husband wasn't home this morning when I was eating breakfast, I could picture him in his usual spot across the table from me, saying the exact same thing he said to me yesterday afternoon:

Whatever makes you happy, honey.

Well, some might consider this a strange breakfast, but these "pancakes" made me verrrry happy this morning.

high-protein pancakes recipe

High-Protein, Low-Carb Pancakes
Inspired by This Guy

1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1 scoop 100% whey protein powder (I used vanilla)
a dash of apple pie spice
cooking spray
spray butter

Combine the egg whites, protein powder and spice in a shaker and shake for two minutes. The mixture will thicken and begin to look like batter.

Heat a griddle over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Pour the "batter" onto the griddle. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until small bubbles begin to form. Flip. Cook on the other side.

Continue making "pancakes" until all of the batter is gone. Top with butter spray or your favorite syrup or fruit. Next time, I might even use a little Greek yogurt and see how that tastes.

Enjoy!

Serves 1
207 calories, 2.5 g fat, 5.7 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 38 g protein


9 comments:

  1. Pancakes! Pancakes totally rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat some of the most bizarre things too...and my husband doesn't even bat an eye anymore! Had to laugh at this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been missing them, P.J.! Luckily this took care of the craving. They were close enough. :)

    Ameena, thanks for stopping by! I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who eats crazy things. So how long does it take for the husband to get over having a wife with weird eating habits? Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Ameena eats strange things. Still scratching my head over whether she eats at all.

    Your low carb pancake does look fantastic, though I don't think I could do it. I'm sure that apple pie spice helped a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous!! I would love to enjoy my pancakes, sans guilt...

    PS - the cooking disasters do come in three's. I over cooked my roast chicken!! Blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are a bit unique, Mom Chef. :) I'm pretty sure the husband won't be trying them anytime soon, ha.

    Oh, Megan, once you've hit three mishaps you can only go in the opposite direction. I'm sure things will start to look up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound interesting. And healthy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pack crazy lunches too :) Love these pancakes! I need to work a few lighter versions into the rotation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste a little eggy sometimes, and you kind of need to eat them as soon as they come off the griddle, as I've seen them shrivel before. (Odd? Yes.) But they fit the bill if pancakes don't love you as much as you love them. I'd love to hear your take on lighter pancakes. You're so full of great ideas!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...