Monday, August 15, 2011

Meatless Monday: Tostada Stacks

After years of not even eating eggs, I've come to love 'em when the yolk is just barely cooked. Weird.
The truth is I went to Pilates after work and no one in this household went meatless tonight. Actually, when I told the husband I was going to start taking Monday night Pilates classes his exact words were: "Sweet! No more Meatless Mondays for me!" 

I don't know where he heard that rumor. We all know he wasn't hurt by any of the vegetarian meals I fed him. But I do think he has a point. I don't think we'll be going meatless on Mondays any more. I think it'll be too hard for me to plan, stay at work late, go to class and then come home and make dinner. 



So the husband was right. No more Meatless Mondays for him. I guess we'll just have Totally Vegetarian Tuesdays from now on. How does that sound, Husband? It'll be fun, and we'll eat stuff like these Tostada Stacks you ate a couple of weeks ago.

If I remember correctly, the husband thought it was a little strange when he saw me putting eggs on top of beans, but he did have seconds. Apparently meat-free meals aren't that bad after all.

The husband asked that I flip his egg over. What're they called? Over-easy eggs?
Tostada Stacks
Adapted From Good Housekeeping, August 2011
Serves 2

2 whole wheat tortillas (like those Ole wraps I've told you about)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
cooking spray
almost 1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 minced garlic cloves
salt and pepper, to taste
1 can chili beans, drained, liquid reserved
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped pepper
1 cup corn
1 small tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon sauce from the chili beans
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 large eggs

Heat or toast the tortillas in tortilla bowl molds until they've browned and hold their shape. Keep warm.

In a skillet, heat the vegetable oil and cooking spray. Add in the onion, garlic and a little salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion is golden, stirring often.

Place the beans and about 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. 

In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, pepper, corn, tomatoes, a teaspoon of the sauce from the beans, lime juice and about another 1/8 teaspoon salt. 

Divide the cooked onion mixture among the beans and zucchini mixture.

Mash the beans until almost smooth; stir the zucchini mixture well.

Cook the eggs as you'd like - sunny-side-up or over-easy.

Spread the bean mixture among the tortillas and top with an egg. Serve the zucchini mixture on the side.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...