Thursday, June 2, 2011

"I'm-a-Vegetarian-Today" Mexican Pizza

mexican pizza recipe

As we discussed tonight's dinner last night I asked the husband if we should have something meatless or put it off until Friday. (We missed the Meatless Monday boat this week, but I'll tell you more about that tomorrow, I'm sure.) We debated our options and out of the blue the husband told me he wanted Mexican pizza. No, I had no idea what that meant, but he told me Mexican pizza calls for beans, vegetables and cheese. Where does he come up with this stuff? I had to admit, though, that it sounded interesting. 


So we thawed out a pizza crust when we got home from work ('cause I was way too lazy to make dough on a Thursday night) and I got cutting the vegetables. This pizza came together quite quickly - the ingredients were all ready before the oven was heated. And the husband deserves a big pat on the back for this one because I know this is a meal we'll be making again. To top it off, we sat down to dinner and the husband's face kinda lit up: "I was a vegetarian today. I didn't eat any meat all day!" Way to go, Husband. Now what sort of ideas do you have up your sleeve for tomorrow night?

healthy mexican pizza recipe

Mexican Pizza
Serves 8

1 (14 inch) prepared pizza crust
3/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/8 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin (or less, to taste)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Thaw your pizza crust, if frozen, like ours. 

Spoon the salsa over the crust. Mash half of the beans, if desired, and spread evenly over salsa. Cover with peppers, onions cheese and spices.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown and cheese has melted.

3 comments:

  1. You're giving me some great ideas with this one. Maybe a mixture of refried beans and the black beans. I'd probably add some fajita spiced chicken (simply because we love meat that much). Hmmmmmm. Thanks for the awesome recipe and great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! I am loving this meatless mexican pizza! I think I already told you I was a vegetarian awhile ago, but went back to meat. I do try to have meatless nights as often as I can though. Im putting this one on the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to use refried beans, but the husband HATES them. His compromise was black beans. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...