Monday, May 9, 2011

Meatless Monday: Ravioli With Pesto and Roasted Veggies

ravioli with pesto
Ravioli With Pesto and Roasted Veggies
When my dad was in high school, he won the home ec award. I wasn't around in those days, so I can't say whether this really happened or whether this is one of those instances like the time he told me he once got his legs stuck behind his head and my grandparents had to call the ambulance. I'm willing to take his word on the home ec thing, but I have a feeling the other story was a big fib. Oh, Da. You kid.

I should really call him to clarify what helped him win that award because I have a feeling the meal I just served the husband wouldn't take home the prize of most appealing. It doesn't look so hot, I know, but I swear it didn't taste as awful as it looks.



I'm actually on a roll here. Last night's dinner looked pretty bad, too. I made pork chops with a mustard-cream sauce yesterday that the husband said looked like graphite. I suggested perhaps the sauce looked like cement; he nodded and said I might be right. (The picture in the cookbook showed a white sauce. How mine ended up resembling liquid minerals is beyond me.)


So maybe I'd come in last if I were being judged on eye-catching appeal here, but I think I could at least come in second for flavor. And the husband actually ate this meal, despite how green it was - and I'm not making this up.


Ravioli With Pesto and Roasted Veggies

cheese-filled ravioli, enough for two servings

Roasted Veggies:
1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
cooking spray
salt
fresh ground pepper

Pesto:

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 (1/2 ounce) packet pesto mixture

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. (I cooked our veggies in our toaster oven, first on slow bake, heating them only from the bottom, and then on bake, heating them from the top and bottom, for the last 10 minutes or so. If you don't have this setting on your appliance, you may want to cover them with foil for the first 10 minutes.)


Pre-cooked veggies look awfully tasty, don't they?
Cut the carrots, tomatoes, pepper and onion. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread the veggies evenly. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Cook the veggies for 10 minutes.

Whisk the olive oil, water and pesto mixture together in a small saucepan. Heat on medium-high heat and whisk frequently until the pesto begins to boil.

Put a pot on for the ravioli.

Has it been 10 minutes yet? Flip the veggies and set the timer for another 10 minutes.

When the pesto mixture comes to a boil, turn it down and simmer for 5 minutes, whisking often.

When the water is ready for the ravioli, throw it in the pot. The pesto mixture will begin to thicken as the ravioli cooks. And the veggies should be cooked by now, so get 'em out of the oven before they burn all to heck.


The husband: "They really shrunk, huh?!"
After 20-25 minutes total your veggies, pesto and ravioli should be ready. Drain the ravioli and throw all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Serve with Parmesan, if desired.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh this sounds absolutley delicious! I LOVE your Meatless Mondays. I was a vegetarian for an entire year.. then went back to meat eating, but still try to eat meatless as often as I can. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love "seeing double"!!!!! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...