Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lil' Brownie Bites



My momma and I have this running joke every time there's a social event she's headed out to that I have to miss where she'll ask me what I'm bringing. I'll often say I'm bringing a picnic salad or, better year, the wine. And since we're usually discussing this mid-Saturday morning, I always end with: "We'll leave as soon as the husband gets back from golf. I guess I'll see you at about midnight." Oh, if only, Momma.

So in honor of Memorial Day weekend and the delicious barbecues I know everyone will be enjoying this weekend, I'll tell you what I'd bring: Light Brownie Bites. These things were a cinch to throw together. I did all of the work by hand - while on the phone with my momma - and the brownie bites were mixed, baked and ready to eat in less than 15 minutes. No joke. With these in hand, I may even make it to a party in the hollow by about 11:30 pm.


Light Brownie Bites
Inspired by Cooking Light
Makes 24 brownie bites

1/2 cup self-rising flour
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
4 large egg whites
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons Kahlua White Russian mix or chocolate liqueur (optional)
cooking spray
powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine flour, sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Whisk egg whites until foamy in a separate bowl. Add oil and liqueur, if desired, which I do suggest, and stir with a whisk.

Add egg white mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Spoon batter evenly into 24 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray.

Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire racks.


If you don't mix your dry ingredients well, your brownies may look like mine.
If you follow Cooking Light's recipe, which also uses chocolate chips and a sprinkle of chopped almonds, the nutritional information for one mini brownie bite: 61 calories, 2.4 g fat, 8.8 g carbs, .3 g fiber, 1.2 g protein

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I am definitely going to make these! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's Kahlua in yet? Oh yeah! My kinda brownie bite. Your pictures look awesome too~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief. Phone calls with my mom last much longer than this takes to make and bake. You really think the Kahlua is optional? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my phone call with my momma definitely took longer than this took to make. How awesome is that? And, yes, I suppose the Kahlua is optional for weird, I mean, some people. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These really sound delicious. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a wonderful spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I definitely will be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by, Mary! I make pretty basic dishes around here, but they manage to keep the husband fed. I hope you like my space. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...