Monday, March 7, 2011

Meatless Monday: An Italian Wrap & Pumpkin Yogurt

pumpkin yogurt
Pumpkin Yogurt and Graham Crackers
There's nothing I don't like about living with the husband. I love our time together more than anything. Honestly. I enjoy all the little stuff - even sorting laundry together. I just plain love it all. But there's something to be said about solitary evenings alone. When I'm home by myself I can watch hours of Sex and the City reruns or dance around the kitchen while I sweep the floor. The dogs never mind. Nor do they mind when I eat meals that their dad would likely consider repulsive. So as sad as I was when the husband said he had to go to a business dinner and wouldn't be home tonight, I also knew it meant I'd get to eat whatever I wanted for dinner without anyone raising an eyebrow.

While searching the Web a couple of weeks ago for vegetarian dishes I came across a recipe for vegetarian meat substitute that I thought sounded really interesting. I knew I'd never get away with serving it to the husband, though, so I was kind of looking forward to a night alone - a vegetarian night alone, ending with a little pumpkin dessert, to be exact.


Unfortunately, as is the case so often in this household, I was hungrier and more impatient than I had hoped I'd be when I got home from work. Although I thought I'd have plenty of time to make that interesting faux ground meat, I was not willing to boil the rice and lentils for 20 minutes and then bake the mixture for another hour - not tonight, at least. So while I put that recipe away to save for another night, I scrounged around the pantry and came up with ingredients for an Italian-inspired wrap.

We bought another package of Flatout flatbread last weekend. We tried the multi-grain wraps the first time, so I grabbed the light Italian wraps this time around. They're filled with Italian herbs, so I knew filling one with black beans and Mexican-blend cheese just wouldn't be right. Instead, I filled mine with white beans, mushrooms, Mozzarella and tomatoes. And, yes, my eyes were bigger than my wrap.


It was hard to get my wrap to wrap up nicely, thanks to my overly ambitious filling, but I'm also going to blame the wraps. I'm not sure why, but I had the hardest time separating the wraps. We had been keeping them in the pantry since we bought them Sunday afternoon, so  I'm hoping this was what caused the issue (though that doesn't make any sense to me since they're sold on shelves). We'll see. I stuck those suckers in the fridge for now.


About 10 minutes in a 350-degree-preheated oven, my wrap was ready to eat, albeit messy.  


Unfortunately, I have to admit my Italian wrap left a bit to be desired. I actually enjoyed the  carrots and green beans I ate on the side a lot more than the main dish. So I thought I'd make myself a little pumpkin treat to end my evening alone on a sweet note. 


Creamy Pumpkin Yogurt and Graham Crackers

1 single container light low-carb vanilla yogurt

1/4 cup pumpkin
cinnamon, to taste
1 graham cracker

Swirl the yogurt, pumpkin and cinnamon in a bowl until completely blended. (You may even want to throw this into a mini chopper. I found a spoon worked just fine, though.)


Top with a graham cracker - or two! - and enjoy before your husband gets home and makes fun of you.

1 comment:

  1. Pumpkin yogurt is totally new to me. I love all things pumpkin so I know I'd like this. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your yogurt up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...