Friday, February 11, 2011

One Giant Pizza Roll

Pizza Roll
We realized the other day that six months have already passed since we became husband and wife. Seriously, where has the time gone? I guess that's how it goes when you look back on the best day of your life - it feels like it was just yesterday. It's true the long engagement was, at times, frustrating and stressful. We planned a wedding from 790 miles away. The process was not all rainbows and butterflies. But the wait was all worth it in the end. I gained a fabulous husband, a shiny new piece of jewelry, supportive in-laws and a food processor. And I love them all.




OK, I didn't actually get the food processor the day we got married, but it was part of the package. The food processor was a bridal shower gift that I was lucky enough to get a couple of months before the wedding. At first I thought a food processor would come in handy for chopping vegetables and bread crumbs. I thought I'd make salsa and graham cracker pie crusts with it and be happy. I never thought I'd learn to love it for its dough-making abilities.



Tonight we switched up pizza night a little bit. I made a whole wheat pizza dough from Eating Well and we stuffed it with cheese and veggies. I think the husband was a little nervous when I started rolling and stuffing and rolling and stuffing. And to be honest, I wasn't really sure how it was going to turn out, either. But the end result was quite rewarding. The vegetables were cooked just right and the cheese was so gooey and good. The husband said the dough cooked perfectly, and I had to agree. 


Overall, the husband told me I did a "really good job." Even though we ate dinner about two hours later than usual, thanks to me using regular old yeast instead of rapid-rise, it was worth it.





Pizza Roll
Dough From Eating Well
Serves 8


Dough:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 package quick-rising yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2-2/3 cup hot water (warmed to about 120 degrees F)
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil


Filling, to taste:
1/2 cup pizza sauce (approximately)
1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
broccoli
green pepper
onion


Mix the flours, yeast, salt and sugar in a food processor. Mix the water and oil, and slowly drizzle into the processor until the mixture forms a sticky ball. If the dough appears to be too wet and sticky, add another tablespoon of flour. If the dough is too dry, add a tablespoon of water. 


Continue to run the processor for another minute, kneading the dough. 


Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Spray a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray and cover the dough. Let the dough rest for about 20 minutes. (We didn't actually have fast-rising yeast, so we let our dough sit for about 45 minutes. This worked fine for us.)


Put a pizza stone in the oven, and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.


Roll out the dough into a rough rectangle. Add your favorite fillings to one end of the dough. Roll the dough over the fillings. Add more fillings and roll again. Continue this process, tucking in the edges as you go, until you've used up all of your fillings and have run out of dough to roll!




Brush the pizza roll with egg white and bake for 20-30 minutes.


Cut into slices and serve.



2 comments:

  1. My kinda meal right here. This is a great dinner for kids too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, you're pizza roll looks heavenly. I loved late dinners when we were Dudette-less. There's something romantic about not being tied to a specific dinner time. Congrats on the 6 months!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...