Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hard Rolls for the Husband


I gave the husband his chili options yesterday, to which he said: "Why do you always do this? How about you just use the recipe you've been using?" Well, the truth is, I haven't been using a recipe. I throw different stuff in that pot every single time. So I humored him and skipped the recipes I wanted to try and stuck to my usual I'll-put-whatever-I-think-sounds-good-in-this-pot routine. And to top it off, after choosing chili for dinner, the husband said he thought he'd rather wait until today to eat it. I was back to square one.


Since I was planning to make chili, we had ground turkey and ground beef thawed in the fridge. I decided to use half of it for the chili and half of it for meatballs. I had never made meatballs with ground turkey before, though, so I was a bit skeptical. (Turns out, they were great! But the husband thinks ground turkey has a slightly strange taste, so I think we'll always have to use half turkey and half beef.)

But I'm getting ahead of myself. What to go with our homemade meatballs and Marinara? I knew if the husband found the turkey meatballs only mediocre, homemade rolls would make up for it. I threw on my vintage apron (thank you C & A!), and grabbed my classic cookbook.


There's something about that cookbook that makes me feel like I'm channeling my great-grandmother. So instead of lending the recipe to my own interpretation, I followed it exactly and pretended it was 1950. And I'm pretty sure the husband was happy I didn't put my own spin on these rolls - they were amazing! I've never made rolls so soft and chewy on the inside and crusty and hard on the outside. Best. Rolls. Ever. Apparently, sometimes a tested recipe really is a good idea, ha.

Hard Rolls
Hard Rolls

1 package yeast
1 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups sifted flour (up to 4, if needed)
2 stuff-beaten egg whites

Soften yeast in 1/4 cup water, warmed to 110 degrees F. 

To remaining water, add sugar, butter and salt. Add 1 cup flour; beat well. Add yeast mixture, egg whites; mix. Add remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead till smooth and satiny. 


Place in greased bowl, turning to cover; let rise till double.

Punch down and let double again. Divide for rolls; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape.

Place 2 1/2 inches apart on baking sheet. Cover; let double. Brush with egg yolk diluted with water. (I brushed mine with a  little egg white.)


Bake in preheated 450-degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Place a large flat pan of boiling water on floor of oven to give crustiness. Makes 24 rolls.

(Truth be told, I only made 12 rolls, but that's because I was using my rolls for meatball sandwiches. I'm sure these would make 24 perfectly sized dinner rolls, though.) 

2 comments:

  1. See, now that's what I'm talking about. That meatball sandwich looks outstanding. That husband is one lucky fella. Just have to make sure he's walking the courses to burn it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, P.J.! He was actually on the golf course while I was making these. But I'm pretty sure he was riding, ha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...