Monday, January 10, 2011

Who Doesn't Love a Snow Day?


"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort." - Jane Austen

I'm sorry to say it, Monday, but you're usually my least-favorite day of the week. Today, though, was a bit different. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that I wore my snowflake socks yesterday or not, but we woke up to about four inches of snow this morning. And that meant one thing: snow day. 

Who doesn't love a snow day? I'm a "Northerner," so I've had my fair share of driving on snow-covered roads, and I went to grad school in a city that didn't blink an eye when inches of snow would turn into feet. But I don't care how used to snow I am, and I don't care if it makes me sound like a big kid: I love staying home when it snows. 

The husband and I spent the day relaxing; we watched kids walk up and down our road with sleds and snow tubes - one of them even had an air mattress! - all afternoon, and the snow just kept falling. I even took the dog man out and threw some snowballs for him. Could we have asked for a more perfect start to the week? 

On a cold, lazy day like today, all I want is a big bowl of comfort food. Lucky for us, we had leftover corn chowder to heat up for dinner, and even luckier for us, I remembered to buy sour cream at the grocery store Sunday, so we had everything we needed for sour cream biscuits.

I've made sour cream biscuits before, but of course I found a recipe that the husband really liked and now I can't seem to find it again. So, I headed on over to Food.com, and found a recipe for Atlantic City Sour Cream Biscuits that I think turned out quite well. 

The ingredients were simple enough: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sour cream. Unfortunately, I had some trouble making those simple ingredients turn into a nice dough.


So, I added a little milk and everything came together quite nicely. I rolled the dough and cut out 12 perfect biscuits.


About 12 minutes later, we had just what we needed to complement our chowder.


But I'm not the only one who got creative in the kitchen today. As I was getting my biscuit ingredients lined up on the counter, the husband hopped off the couch and came into the kitchen, telling me he was going to make snow cream. What? I asked if he needed a recipe for this, but he told me he heard about it on TV and that I didn't need to worry.


Well, he was right. He filled a bowl with snow, threw in some sugar, milk, vanilla and dark chocolate sauce, and we had something that resembled ice cream. No, the texture wasn't quite like ice cream, but it sure tasted good. And it was the perfect way for two giant kids to finish their snow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...