Friday, January 28, 2011

It's Finally Friday

Don't ask why my pizza looks like a gift tag. I don't have an answer.
And around this household, I've come to realize that usually means pizza. It's funny how easily we can get into a routine and stick to it. (Seriously, Husband, Meatless Mondays will come naturally. Just wait and see.) My momma grew up with parents who poured themselves Seven and Sevens and served popcorn for dinner Friday nights. You might think that sounds like bad parenting, but I think it sounds like a really fun Friday night - not to mention an inexpensive way to feed four girls in the 1970s. The truth is, that tradition was probably born - accidentally - one night when my grandma's full-time teaching job had left her too tired to make a big family dinner.

When I think about it, I guess I can trace our Friday night pizza routine back about three years, when the husband was still just a boyfriend. I was working a Sunday-through-Thursday schedule, which meant my Fridays consisted of running with the dog man, cleaning the house, watching The Dog Whisperer and waiting for the boyfriend to get home from school. I cooked back then, but I didn't look forward to it like I do now. I was much more concerned with finding a cute outfit and heading to our favorite watering hole for a couple of games of pool. After about an hour ... or so ... of the boyfriend not necessarily winning but of me more so losing, we'd walk down the street, pick up a pie and head home to the dog man.





So despite being extremely tired after work today, I had to make a pizza for dinner. While our whole wheat dough rose on top of the fridge I baked a few chicken breasts to throw on our pizza, and the husband told me about his day. All of a sudden, he stopped mid-story and said, "Friday's pizza night, isn't it?" 


But I switched it up a little tonight and served Barbecue Chicken Pizza instead of our typical pepperoni or cheese - or, when I can talk the husband into it, mushroom. It was sooo good. I used our usual whole wheat dough, but the rest of the meal was inspired by my new clean eating cookbook, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Clean. I marinated the chicken overnight and it smelled fabulous while it was cooking. (I'm really looking forward to that chicken another night, without the pizza!) A little barbecue sauce and part-skim mozzarella, and our meal was complete.




We've decided to continue this little routine of pizza on Fridays. I know it's nothing groundbreaking, but I think it'll get our creative juices flowing, as we'll have to come up with new ways to keep it interesting. And who knows, this may even lead to a few good family memories down the road.

1 comment:

  1. You just can't go wrong with pizza! So many combination of flavors you can go with. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...