Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Hot Mess


Who doesn't like Sloppy Joes? Oh, yeah, my da and stepfather. Growing up, Sloppy Joes were reserved for camping. Why my momma was allowed to serve them for dinner when we were eating at a picnic table in the middle of the woods is beyond me, but that was the rule. Reason #1,524 I love the husband: He loves Sloppy Joes. Unfortunately, I don't love the fact that high fructose corn syrup is the second ingredient in a can of Manwich, and I prefer to eat fresh veggies - not dehydrated. So I was very happy today when I stumbled upon a Sloppy Joe recipe that, surprisingly, tasted just as good as the sandwiches I remember eating as a kid in the Adirondacks. 

Scratch-Made Sloppy Joes
Inspired by Ellie Krieger

1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef
3/4 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
3/4 cup great northern bean, drained and rinsed
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper, about a dash 


Spray a small fry pan with cooking spray and heat the onions over medium heat until tender. (I let mine get a little brown - oops - but that turned out OK.) While the onions are cooking, brown the ground beef in a separate fry pan for about five minutes. Remove as much grease from the ground beef as possible. 


Add all of the ingredients - including the onions - to the ground beef pan.  (It was at this point that the husband asked whether he should set the table with bowls or plates because it wasn't looking much like Sloppy Joes.)

Simmer over medium heat until the ground beef is cooked and the mixture has thickened; don't worry, it will thicken and look like your usual Sloppy Joes

Serves 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories 177, Total Fat 7.3 g, Carbohydrate 11.1 g, Dietary Fiber 2.3 g, Protein 16.5 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...